Blog Themes, Link Buttons and More! »

Friday, March 23, 2012

Things are calming down

 Things are starting to calm down around here. Finally. Thank you.  I still feel like I am losing my mind (like I ever had sanity to begin with right?) but I am sure that will even out eventually. We are starting to prepare the gardens for planting now. We went ahead and started a few of the seedlings in pots so that we can just transfer them to the gardens when they are ready. Time to get the tiller and plow up some ground. This year we are dealing with one large garden and two or so medium size gardens and several smaller gardens. My roses have started blooming. One of the Don Juan climbing roses has a beautiful big bloom on it. The Blue Girl hasn't started blooming just yet but it is on it's way to do so. We have some wildflowers that Cherokee wants to plant. I am still trying to find some more Asian Lilies, Black Calla Lilies, Stargazers, Tigers and some ground cover like Moss Pink, Rose "Happy Chappy", Creeping Thyme, Phlox or maybe some London Pride or Desert Pea ground cover. All of which are absolutely beautiful. I am a bit apprehensive on the Phlox for one reason though. Phlox is a fast spreading ground cover and can quickly get out of control and choke out any other plants it encounters. I am going to be doing my spearmint, peppermint and wintergreen plants in pots because they are fast spreading as well. I learned my lesson with those many years ago. They will quickly take over your flowerbed, yard, garden and kill everything in its path by smothering them. Our Butterfly tree is slowly recovering from the damage the boys did to it last year. I really thought it was going to die because of how extensive the damage was. Cherokee babied it and that paid off. It is green and starting to shoot back up taller and taller. Hopefully we can get it back to the 6-7 foot tall that it was. I could be wrong but it may have been about 8ft. I honestly don't remember. Cherokee has proven that she has a very green thumb when it comes to gardening, plants, trees, flowers, veggies etc. She took some pinto, kidney, and northern beans last year and turned them into about 50 or so plants last year. Hunter brought home a 50lb head of cabbage plant last year and that sucker got huge. It was about 5ft in diameter in terms of the plant itself. The head of cabbage I plucked from it was huge as well. I was able to make several cabbage stew type meals for over 2 weeks with that one head of cabbage. I need to get my tomato plants, herbs etc. Anyhow, I'll leave you guys in peace for now =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...